Who's Online
1 registered (The_Professor), 0 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Brewer Of The Month
CURRENT BOTM
OCTOBER 2014
Mark's Brew
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mark's Brew 147
Jon_TWR 122
Pudge 93
KNeace 81
Whamolagan 68
Today's Birthdays
Bitter_Bob, Nick Bates
Site links
Mr Beer FAQ Mr. Beer Fans Map
Newest Members
keuma, firstelitech, reelfire brewing, murphy392, HbgBill
4713 Registered Users
New Topics
I have filled my log book again this year.
by KNeace
10/29/14 07:30 PM
Ebola
by mamiata1
10/29/14 11:57 AM
Mammy's semi-delicious birthday lunch
by mamiata1
10/29/14 11:08 AM
Happy Birthday Mami!
by Frosty
10/29/14 04:18 AM
Blendeing or mixing yeasts...
by KNeace
10/28/14 09:09 PM
Forum Stats
4713 Members
48 Forums
23198 Topics
335642 Posts

Max Online: 196 @ 06/11/11 07:04 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203972 - 12/14/10 08:59 AM 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners?
Sordfish Offline

Hi all,

As I enjoy variety, I don't think that I would want to buy one of those homebrew kits that makes 5 gallon batches. Mr. Beer's 2.5 gallon size seems perfect.
My question is, how easy/difficult is it to put together recipes for the Mr. Beer sized kegs if I am buying ingredients from my LHBS? (I know that most kits you buy from LHBS's are for 5 gallon batches). Would my best option be to use one of the homebrew programs and formulate the recipe based on 2.5 gallons?
Thanks from a total beginner!

#203976 - 12/14/10 09:14 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: Sordfish]
Half Assed Chaos Offline
Half Assed Brewery
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: St. Louis Mo
Yeah, check out QBrew and get the expanded database.

Making MR. B sized batches is super easy and gives you a good ammount to drink for awhile. You won't regret it.

We are back to gag a day (week...month....year?) strips, come and join us! http://halfassedchaos.smackjeeves.com/ Readers Beware, nothing good can come of reading this.

#203982 - 12/14/10 09:45 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: Half Assed Chaos]
psuchunk03 Global Moderator Offline
That's what she said...
Brewmeister Dubbel

Loc: St. Louis, MO
absolutely... i've found that about 2.5 or 3 lbs of any DME + .5lbs of complimenting specialty grains are perfect for a mrb batch. i can get away with only 1 oz of hops in a recipe (divided in thirds for the bittering, flavor, and aroma additions)... but i'm not a hop head. i use 1 whole 11g packet of dry yeast, as well, or one vial of white labs liquid to ferment.

also, i would always fill the mrb keg to the top of the word "Quart", which is about 2.5 gallons (calculate your recipes for that volume, as well)... that way you always get a full case of beer... filling it to the 8.5 mark would only give me like 18 to 20 12oz bottles and it kinda irritated me i wasn't getting a full case lol.

tinkering with a recipe is half the fun, to me anyways, so make sure to get QBrew or another recipe program. the recipe programs help guide your recipe and help you keep tabs on how different ingredients affect the end product... it also allows you to save a recipe to replicate it, or change it for the next go around. keep good notes, as well... and feel free to ask a bunch of questions along the way smile

Fermenting:

Carbing / Conditioning:
#27 Edwort's Apfelwein

Drinking:
#26 Alpha Pale Ale
Lots of craft beer.

On Deck (...eventually):
Hefeweizen, Scottish Ale, Kenny's Fat Tire clone

KCCO

#203989 - 12/14/10 10:33 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: psuchunk03]
natural320 Offline
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Warminster, PA
qbrew is great if you are using MB HMEs, but if you are going solely with LHBS stuff, go to brewmasterswarehouse.com and play with the brew builder. change the volume to like 2.4 gallons, pick what style you want to brew and go to town! the calculations are all done for you so you can hit your numbers. then just order from them, or adapt the recipe to what your LHBS carries in stock.

+1 for MB keg being the perfect size for brewing variety!
fermenting: Splitsville APA(s), Noble Pils v2

#204073 - 12/14/10 07:11 PM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: Sordfish]
The_Professor Administrator Online   content
Brewmeister

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: Sordfish
...2.5 gallon size seems perfect...how easy/difficult is it to put together recipes for the Mr. Beer sized kegs if I am buying ingredients from my LHBS?...

The main issue with putting recipes together yourself is going to be ingredient volumes, as in packages sizes not being exactly what you need. You will probably have some left overs you need to keep until you can use it in another brew.

What are you planning to use for recipes?

2014:
86) Sumerian Beer - gone
87) Olde Style Porter - gone
88) Sumerian Beer IIa - gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - gone
90) Sumerian Beer IIb - gone
91) Sumerian Beer III - gone
92) Dry Stout - fermenting

#204099 - 12/14/10 10:15 PM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: The_Professor]
BrewMecca Offline

I know this may be a silly question, but is it possible to just cut 5 gallon recipies in half for 2.5 mr. beer sized recipies? Cause I hae a recipie for the Hammerhead IPA and I was just going to cut it in half to brew it for Mr. beer. ( I'm a newbie to this thing so go easy

BrewMecca

#204103 - 12/14/10 10:50 PM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: BrewMecca]
Milltime Offline
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: NE Ohio
No problem splitting it up. I've split up Cooper's many times without a problem although I've always had 2 kegs to use when I've done it. I've been making 2 Gallon AG batches for a while and still do occasional 5 Gallon extracts although I now use a 5 Gallon Carboy for that when I used the kegs before.

#204149 - 12/15/10 09:00 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: Milltime]
natural320 Offline
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Warminster, PA
you can definitely scale back recipes. I believe programs like beersmith will do it for you, but again, using any of the free software available...just plug in the ingredients and see what numbers come back and adjust accordingly. in my limited experience it isn't "quite" cut in half, but it is pretty close. the thing to watch is the bitterness as the IBUs go up in a hurry when you cut the water volume
fermenting: Splitsville APA(s), Noble Pils v2

#204153 - 12/15/10 09:15 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: natural320]
Half Assed Chaos Offline
Half Assed Brewery
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: St. Louis Mo
Originally Posted By: natural320
qbrew is great if you are using MB HMEs, but if you are going solely with LHBS stuff, go to brewmasterswarehouse.com and play with the brew builder. change the volume to like 2.4 gallons, pick what style you want to brew and go to town! the calculations are all done for you so you can hit your numbers. then just order from them, or adapt the recipe to what your LHBS carries in stock.

I just checked out that brewmasters warehouse, that is a really cool little tool they have, plus you can buy pretty much anything by the oz. If their shipping is reasonable this very well may be my new go to for recipe ordering!

We are back to gag a day (week...month....year?) strips, come and join us! http://halfassedchaos.smackjeeves.com/ Readers Beware, nothing good can come of reading this.

#204162 - 12/15/10 10:36 AM Re: 2.5 gallon recipes for beginners? [Re: Half Assed Chaos]
Jon_TWR Administrator Online   happy
I'm the white rabbit.
Brewmeister Tripel

Loc: Bronx, NY
Originally Posted By: Half Assed Chaos
Originally Posted By: natural320

I just checked out that brewmasters warehouse, that is a really cool little tool they have, plus you can buy pretty much anything by the oz. If their shipping is reasonable this very well may be my new go to for recipe ordering!
$6.99, flat rate! Don't forget the BNARMY 10% off coupon code!

Island Brewing Supply
Our site is now live!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

FALL SEASONAL
* NOW AVAILABLE *
Mr. Beer Fall Seasonal
Extra Special Bitter

Shout Box

Mr.Beer How-To Videos
How To Videos
New to brewing? The following videos will help you make sense of your new hobby. The videos will walk you through every step of the process—from sanitizing to bottling and everything in between.
Recent Pictures
Taz's Banana Split Wheat
Kenny's Koko-Koffee Porter
Cool Daddy's Belgian Ale
Natural320 Choco Porter
Beer it forward #1: Stink's competition brew

MR.BEER® is a division of Coopers DIY, LLC www.mrbeer.com. Used by permission.