Who's Online
2 registered (Pudge, reelfire brewing), 0 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Brewer Of The Month
CURRENT BOTM
OCTOBER 2014
Mark's Brew
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mark's Brew 148
Jon_TWR 95
Pudge 84
Whamolagan 72
KNeace 67
Today's Birthdays
Howard
Site links
Mr Beer FAQ Mr. Beer Fans Map
Newest Members
firstelitech, reelfire brewing, murphy392, HbgBill, arn8897
4711 Registered Users
New Topics
Propane Burner Question
by CoolDaddy
10/23/14 05:46 PM
what to get to overhaul my home brewery?
by natural320
10/22/14 09:30 AM
I found the hops!
by mamiata1
10/22/14 09:16 AM
by reelfire brewing
10/22/14 12:50 AM
neat trick for oil and vinegar dressing
by bpgreen
10/22/14 12:38 AM
Forum Stats
4711 Members
48 Forums
23173 Topics
335377 Posts

Max Online: 196 @ 06/11/11 07:04 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304636 - 03/03/13 07:49 PM Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming
NooB Brewer Offline
Jr. Mr Beer Fan

Loc: Eastern NC
Ok so heres the deal. after my first batch of unevenly carbonated mr beer i decided i wanted to try something more efficient. On another post i have on here someone posted a great video on basic batch priming with an extra LBK and it looked really simple and easy, and since this is only my second overall batch of homebrew simple is good. I was all ready to give the a go when i stumbled on the Coopers Carbonation Drops and they look really interesting and way more simple since they are pre measured. I am brewing up a honey porter so i wanted some sugestions on which method you guys thought was better.

1st- American Light (Gone-rough first brew)
2nd- Potus Honey Porter (Conditioned four months!- amazing second brew, great head, flavor, and super smooth for a kit beer that is)

Fermenting- Blueberry Wheat Ale

On Deck- Imperial Stout

#304639 - 03/03/13 07:56 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: NooB Brewer]
Whamolagan Offline
Barley Malt Davidson IV
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Ojai,Ca
Well I can tell you that batch priming is pretty easy. Now I have never used them there carb drops, but they looked pretty expensive compared to another LBK. Table sugar is cheap, and batch priming is a more efficient way, plus I think less oxygen gets in the beer that way. I was a little skeptical at first, but after three months of batch priming ( I do 8 LBKs at a time) I have nothing but consistent carb levels.

#304656 - 03/03/13 08:34 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: Whamolagan]
HazardousBrewer Offline
Beer Lover Extraordinare
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Charleston, SC
I used the Coopers Carb drops my first 3 batches and they worked great. Either way is just as simple as the other but in the long run it will be more expensive with the carb drops then with priming sugar.

It's totally up to you which way you want to go although with batch priming you'll have a little more control over carbonation levels.

#304658 - 03/03/13 08:45 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: HazardousBrewer]
Jon_TWR Administrator Offline
I'm the white rabbit.
Brewmeister Tripel

Loc: Bronx, NY
When I was bottle priming, I loved using Domino Dots sugar cubes. Cheap and easy, what's not to love? wink

Island Brewing Supply
Our site is now live!

#304660 - 03/03/13 08:51 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: Jon_TWR]
KNeace Global Moderator Offline
Official Brew Dude
Brewmeister

Loc: Hoosierville
Originally Posted By: Jon_TWR
When I was bottle priming, I loved using Domino Dots sugar cubes. Cheap and easy, what's not to love? wink

+ 1. Bottling wand on an auto siphon from the fermentor with 1 Domino Dot per bottle, cant' get any easier. Pre bake the bottles earlier in the day or night before and bottling is litterally 15 minutes per batch. I haven't batch primed in years.

Anyway, haven't used the drops myself but I have heard of problems with them like floaties and inconsistant carb levels. If you can, just try the Domino Dots they are 1/2 tsp of cane sugar, perfect carb level for most beers in a 12 oz bottle.

#304663 - 03/03/13 10:02 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: KNeace]
NooB Brewer Offline
Jr. Mr Beer Fan

Loc: Eastern NC
I may try the Domino Dots first and see how i like them before i splurge and get the drops. So i should just put one dot per 12oz bottle just like id put in the table sugar?

And completely off topic while i was looking for other ways and extra kegs i came across the brew demon keg! its a 3 gallon keg that comes with a stand and is coned at the bottle to make sure trub stays all the way at the bottom and a big plus is there dishwasher safe and come with an airlock if you want. has anyone seen or tried these? itd be nice to try a strong 3 gal batch with a few mr beer refils mixed together and it looks badass

1st- American Light (Gone-rough first brew)
2nd- Potus Honey Porter (Conditioned four months!- amazing second brew, great head, flavor, and super smooth for a kit beer that is)

Fermenting- Blueberry Wheat Ale

On Deck- Imperial Stout

#304667 - 03/03/13 10:59 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: NooB Brewer]
KNeace Global Moderator Offline
Official Brew Dude
Brewmeister

Loc: Hoosierville
Thats all...1 dot per 12 oz bottle. If using the Mr Beer PET bottles those are bigger and 1dot wont carbonate them enough.

And yeah i also been checking that fermentor out...im going to order one up.

#309570 - 04/22/13 12:11 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: KNeace]
Jacylrin Offline
Token Brewing Chick
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Northern Virginia
Yep, sugar cubes are great and make bottling a lot easier. Some folks can't find the Domino Dots locally, but I can love them.

#1 - Maiden Pale Ale - Drinking
#2 - Sloppy Seconds Dirty Blonde Ale - Conditioning
#3 - Threesome Hefe - Conditioning
#4 - Fourplay Short Mead - On Deck (one gallon)
#5 - Bewenched Red Ale - On Deck

#309647 - 04/23/13 06:18 PM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: Jacylrin]
Jon_TWR Administrator Offline
I'm the white rabbit.
Brewmeister Tripel

Loc: Bronx, NY
Originally Posted By: Jacylrin
Yep, sugar cubes are great and make bottling a lot easier. Some folks can't find the Domino Dots locally, but I can love them.
When I bottle prime (almost never), I use domino dots...it's so rare that I do, that I'm still using domino dots from when I lived in Pittsburgh, a year and a half ago!

Island Brewing Supply
Our site is now live!

#310515 - 05/07/13 11:39 AM Re: Carbonation Drops vs. Batch Priming [Re: Jon_TWR]
Mr. Bill Global Moderator Offline
Professional Beer Drinker. Egg Flipping Pro :)
Brewmeister

Loc: Mitchell, Indiana
If your gonna Bottle Prime... Dots FTW smile (if you can find them)
With a sharp thin knife you can even cut them in half to get
a more precise carb level.

Mr. Bill { Cabana Boy } {{ AKA "The Honey King" }}

On Deck:: Back to All Grain ! smile

Fermenter #1: frown
Fermenter #2: frown

Carb/ Cond : frown

Drinking:

Cheap beer, Fat Tire, Vodka and Cranberry......

and of course Don Julio Anejo and Crown Royal Special Reserve. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

FALL SEASONAL
* NOW AVAILABLE *
Mr. Beer Fall Seasonal
Extra Special Bitter

Shout Box

Mr.Beer How-To Videos
How To Videos
New to brewing? The following videos will help you make sense of your new hobby. The videos will walk you through every step of the process—from sanitizing to bottling and everything in between.
Recent Pictures
Taz's Banana Split Wheat
Kenny's Koko-Koffee Porter
Cool Daddy's Belgian Ale
Natural320 Choco Porter
Beer it forward #1: Stink's competition brew

MR.BEER® is a division of Coopers DIY, LLC www.mrbeer.com. Used by permission.