Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Brewer Of The Month
CURRENT BOTM
DECEMBER 2014
Pudge
Top Posters (30 Days)
mamiata1 287
Jon_TWR 161
Whamolagan 141
Mark's Brew 133
Pudge 114
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Site links
Mr Beer FAQ Mr. Beer Fans Map
Newest Members
scully, cokeandfries, Marc2010, lehts33, Redwing93
4734 Registered Users
New Topics
White Otter 2014
by Mark's Brew
12/21/14 10:21 AM
Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout
by Mark's Brew
12/21/14 06:46 AM
American Wheat Beer
by Mark's Brew
12/20/14 05:21 PM
Draft Magazines top 25 beers of 2014
by The Beer Warrior
12/20/14 10:13 AM
More Canadian crap
by mamiata1
12/18/14 12:47 PM
Forum Stats
4734 Members
48 Forums
23313 Topics
338332 Posts

Max Online: 196 @ 06/11/11 07:04 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155836 - 01/28/10 09:49 AM Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment
scar04 Offline

Last night I bottled the Mr Beer Red Ale. Standard procedure all the way through, since it's only the second batch, and it's part of my forcing myself to walk before running. I did six one liter bottles the standard Mr. Beer way. I did one liter sized bottle with a 1:1 priming of dark agave nectar. I did a couple of sample sized bottles with 1:1 2:1 and 3:1 mixes to see which does best. One of em blew the lid clean off the bottle, looks like it's gonna have to be drunk tonight since it's been exposed to air overnight.

I notice the sedimentation occurs rather quickly with the nectar. My first primed bottle- a 12-oz sample, started sedimentation within about two or three hours.

#155869 - 01/28/10 03:02 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: scar04]
skittlebrau Offline
Hooray Beer!
Sr. Mr Beer Fan

Loc: Buffalo NY
I'd be interested in this.. My wife loves agave so using it to carb would be great.

Dead: WCPA basic, Willows Witbier, Buzz Off Chocolate Cherry Wheat, BS Stout:
Drinking: Napoleon Complex, and it's YUMMY
On deck:?? (chasing a 2 year old around all summer is a lot of work, Gotta start thinking of fall beer)

#156013 - 01/29/10 03:25 AM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: skittlebrau]
D Rock Administrator Offline
Overlord Dude
Brewmeister Dubbel

Loc: Boulder, Co
When carbonating your beer the only thing you should be considering is adding CO2 to your beer, Any flavor additions should be built into the recipe. CO2 is CO2, be it from gas or from yeast farts. Simple sugar, be it Glucose or Sucrose is all that you should be introducing to the beer at Carbonation.
If you want the flavor contributions of Agave, do it in the fermenter and not in the bottle.
I have always been confused by the "can I carbonate with this" questions. Yes, you can, but why would you want to use an unknown. Formulate the recipe for the flavor additions that you desire and create CO2 for carbonation with a small amount of a simple, fully fermentable sugar...

Just sayin'....

NOTICE: The precedeing message (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, and is CONFIDENTIAL. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. As such, D Train Brewery specifically disclaims any responsibility or liability for any personal information or opinions of the author expressed in this message.

#156049 - 01/29/10 09:04 AM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: D Rock]
scar04 Offline

this is more an example of me playing around with little things to see how it turns out. I doubt 2.5 tsps over a liter will really affect the overall flavor of the beer. If I really wanted to go for flavor, I'd have done a bottle in subsitution to the booster, or a half in conjunction with. Like I said, it's me toying with it to see if I can do it, and how it would work. I just figured it'd be worth observing and commenting.

Eventually I'd like to try an agave mead, too. Just to see how it works. It's all like cooking, you play with and experiment with different ingredients and you have either improved, diminished, or created a dish. But it's all about fun

#156769 - 02/01/10 12:14 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: scar04]
BeerConnoisseur Offline

Loc: Lubbock, Texas USA
What I do is calculate based on the nutritional label info.

For instance, my honey says it has 6g sugar per teaspoon. If the prime calculator says use 9g then I add 1.5 teaspoons.

I hope that helps.

#156781 - 02/01/10 01:26 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: BeerConnoisseur]
scar04 Offline

Originally Posted By: BeerConnoisseur
What I do is calculate based on the nutritional label info.

For instance, my honey says it has 6g sugar per teaspoon. If the prime calculator says use 9g then I add 1.5 teaspoons.

I hope that helps.

Actually, that really does. I will remember that for future reference. Thanks

#157838 - 02/07/10 12:25 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: scar04]
scar04 Offline

I tried my over agave'd red ale. It was really carbonated, and held the head the whole time. The dark agave nectar gave it a really sharp bite that I don't think regular sugar would give it. Granted, i tried it a week early, but this one looked like it would pop if I left it be.

I think the regular ratioe'd might work better for less bite, it's got about another 4 days to condition before I should start chilling it; at least according to the Mr. Beer guidlines. We'll see how it goes.

#157839 - 02/07/10 12:59 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: scar04]
Bitter_Bob Offline
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Columbus, GA
Way to go! That looks awesome.
An excellent experiment. Thank you for sharing!

#157846 - 02/07/10 02:09 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: Bitter_Bob]
Jon_TWR Administrator Offline
I'm the white rabbit.
Brewmeister Tripel

Loc: Bronx, NY
That does look good! Be sure to let us know how it tastes after conditioning.

Island Brewing Supply
Our site is now live!

#157905 - 02/07/10 10:20 PM Re: Agave Nectar - A Priming Experiment [Re: scar04]
D Rock Administrator Offline
Overlord Dude
Brewmeister Dubbel

Loc: Boulder, Co
Originally Posted By: scar04
Granted, i tried it a week early, but this one looked like it would pop if I left it be.
You should only bottle in bottles designed to hold carbonated beverages. That there looks like a Bottled Water bottle. Lucky it did not burst on ya...

NOTICE: The precedeing message (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, and is CONFIDENTIAL. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. As such, D Train Brewery specifically disclaims any responsibility or liability for any personal information or opinions of the author expressed in this message.

NEW BREW KITS
* CHECK OUT *
The New Fermenters!
Mr. Beer Kits

Shout Box

Mr.Beer How-To Videos
How To Videos
New to brewing? The following videos will help you make sense of your new hobby. The videos will walk you through every step of the process—from sanitizing to bottling and everything in between.
Recent Pictures
Moose Drool Clone
Belgian Witbier
Beer by the tree
Lil' Brown Bastard
Keezer Build

MR.BEER® is a division of Coopers DIY, LLC www.mrbeer.com. Used by permission.