Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Brewer Of The Month
CURRENT BOTM
OCTOBER 2014
Mark's Brew
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mark's Brew 149
Jon_TWR 97
Pudge 85
Whamolagan 75
KNeace 69
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Site links
Mr Beer FAQ Mr. Beer Fans Map
Newest Members
reelfire brewing, murphy392, HbgBill, arn8897, johnnyb89
4710 Registered Users
New Topics
what to get to overhaul my home brewery?
by natural320
10/22/14 09:30 AM
I found the hops!
by mamiata1
10/22/14 09:16 AM
by reelfire brewing
10/22/14 12:50 AM
neat trick for oil and vinegar dressing
by bpgreen
10/22/14 12:38 AM
Heating with the STC-1000
by MattKnox
10/21/14 07:03 AM
Forum Stats
4710 Members
48 Forums
23171 Topics
335342 Posts

Max Online: 196 @ 06/11/11 07:04 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159757 - 02/20/10 08:35 AM Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions???
PennyPkr Offline

Loc: Antioch, IL
I have my first batch of beer (WCPA)in bottle and I am patiently waiting for the birth of my next daughter to pop the first bottle so I have no idea if I did a good job or not. I fermented it 3 weeks and it has been in bottle for 2 weeks now. However, the excitement of making my own beer and tayloring it to my likes made me go out and purchase two more of the standard refills as I am still just a newbie to home brewing.

One of the standard refills I purchased was the Octoberfest Vienna Lager. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this brew that they would like to share? I have seen a lot of people talk highly of the beer as it is. Should I just brew it up as is or shall I "tweak" it? I love any and all beer, but I prefer the finer home brews so hence my desire to get started.

Looking for suggestions.

Pennypkr

#159762 - 02/20/10 09:36 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: PennyPkr]
littlejon Offline
Lion Tamer &
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: Barksdale AFB, LA
it's such a mild beer that you probably dont need to tweak it too much. I doubt you do, but if you have a way to control it temperature wise, try to ferment it steady at 66 or 67, so you get a really clean fermentation. if you dont have anyway to really control the temperature than dont worry about it.

i really dont think you need to add anything - a vienna lager is a very very mellow clean beer, so adding any more fermentables or hops may throw it out of whack. so basically if i had any advice i would just go with the recipe as is.
Conditioning!: England Is An Island, Really.
Keg Conditioning:
On the horizon!:
RIP: Marzen catastrophe, shitty lime lager, wee heavy, chili beer

"Last I noticed, my stomach has no eyes!" - mrbill

"Style guidelines do not limit creativity, lack of imagination does."

#159772 - 02/20/10 10:03 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: littlejon]
Jon_TWR Administrator Offline
I'm the white rabbit.
Brewmeister Tripel

Loc: Bronx, NY
The only suggestion I would make is that if you have a LHBS, you may want to pick up some LME or DME (1 lb. light dme is a great replacment for a bag of booster) to use instead of the booster, and maybe a different yeast--Danstar Nottingham or Safale S-04 are both clean-fermenting, easy to use dry ale yeasts.

Edited by Jon_TWR (02/20/10 10:04 AM)

Island Brewing Supply
Our site is now live!

#159776 - 02/20/10 10:27 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: Jon_TWR]
Lurch Offline
You rang??
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

I'm drinking mine now, and am quite happy with it.

I used:

1 can OVL
1 pound amber DME (you could use one of the MrB UMEs for this, too if you have some laying around)
1/2 cup brown sugar
and steeped some crystal 40 for 30 min.

If you are just starting and aren't sure about steeping, then I'd omit the steeping grain and the brown sugar. Just go with the can of OVL and some DME or LME in place of the boosta, as Jon suggested. You could use light, amber, dark, whatever- just depends on how dark you want your beer to be- also the darker ones may impart a little more "roasty" flavor than the lighter ones.. I used amber, and it turned out to be a tad lighter than say, a shiner bock. Maybe about as dark as a Newcastle..

Fermenter #1-
Fermenter #2-

#159853 - 02/21/10 12:16 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: Lurch]
PennyPkr Offline

Loc: Antioch, IL
Thank you for the suggestions. Well, I stuck to the Mr. Beer recipe with one exception, I added a 1/2c of brown sugar to the wort. I guess you could say that since I am so new to this, I didn't want to get too daring as I wouldn't know what I did wrong if it turned out poorly.

I plan to let this one ferment 3 weeks as well. That gives me 3 weeks to down another 16 bottles of Grolsch swing tops as those are the bottles I am using.

Cheers!

#160295 - 02/24/10 06:53 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: PennyPkr]
The Chad Offline

I recently brewed this as well, and i did a 1/2 gallon secondary fermentation, adding honey and orange zest for the fun of it. It's still got about 3 weeks to go though.

Brew #1-WCPA
Brew #2-Vienna Lager
Brew #3-HCCD (dry hopped w/cascade)
Brew #4-Whispering Wheat
Brew #5 -Palilalia IPA (non MB)
Brew #6 - Malibu Nut Brown Ale (non MB) (FREAKING AWESOME!)
Brew #7 - Custom American Devil IPA (half MB, half other)
Fermenting - The Chads Imperial IPA

#161749 - 03/04/10 03:44 PM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: The Chad]
Half Assed Chaos Offline
Half Assed Brewery
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: St. Louis Mo
The Octoberfest is the one refill I have left and I would be really interested to hear how these turned out, I'm searching for a few ideas to kick it up a notch. Bam!

We are back to gag a day (week...month....year?) strips, come and join us! http://halfassedchaos.smackjeeves.com/ Readers Beware, nothing good can come of reading this.

#161988 - 03/06/10 12:27 AM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: Half Assed Chaos]
Milltime Online   content
Ultimate Mr. Beer Fan

Loc: NE Ohio
The Vienna can be easily manipulated but I prefered to use Light or Pils DME and add Hallertau hops to go for a more Samuel Adams inspired brew. You can make Marzen,Bock,Dunkel or if you're reallly patient make the 3 can Octoberfest. If you do the later...I'd start brewing it now!

#164127 - 03/20/10 07:40 PM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: Milltime]
The Chad Offline

So I put one of the Honey-Orange Octoberfests in the fridge yesterday and my will-power gave in and had to crack it open last night. I know i should give it a couple weeks, but curiosity got the best of me.

The honey and orange were present, but only just barely. I only did .5oz of honey and .25oz of orange zest, which were both added in the secondary. I think next time I need to either add more or mix them into the wort when I'm making it.

Anyway, it worked out and tasted good.

Brew #1-WCPA
Brew #2-Vienna Lager
Brew #3-HCCD (dry hopped w/cascade)
Brew #4-Whispering Wheat
Brew #5 -Palilalia IPA (non MB)
Brew #6 - Malibu Nut Brown Ale (non MB) (FREAKING AWESOME!)
Brew #7 - Custom American Devil IPA (half MB, half other)
Fermenting - The Chads Imperial IPA

#164131 - 03/20/10 08:43 PM Re: Octoberfest Vienna Lager - Suggestions??? [Re: The Chad]
Chip Offline
Jr. Mr Beer Fan

Loc: Upstate NY
I've made almost 40 Mr Beer recipes, but I hadn't made any of the standard kits. I'm running a little low on ingredients so my last two batches were standard ones. Cowboy lager (Bottling tomorrow) and Octoberfest Vienna Lager (Just put in keg a couple of days ago.) I'm actually looking forward to a simpler brew for a change! OVL is one of my favorite starters!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

FALL SEASONAL
* NOW AVAILABLE *
Mr. Beer Fall Seasonal
Extra Special Bitter

Shout Box

Mr.Beer How-To Videos
How To Videos
New to brewing? The following videos will help you make sense of your new hobby. The videos will walk you through every step of the process—from sanitizing to bottling and everything in between.
Recent Pictures
Taz's Banana Split Wheat
Kenny's Koko-Koffee Porter
Cool Daddy's Belgian Ale
Natural320 Choco Porter
Beer it forward #1: Stink's competition brew

MR.BEER® is a division of Coopers DIY, LLC www.mrbeer.com. Used by permission.